Delayed Fadeout on mouse out?

Topics: fixed
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Hello

It's great that somebody is developing an extended version of the Silverlight Tooltip! However, I would find it even greater if this project would provide (or at least plan to include) an option for a delayed fadeout of the tooltip after the user's mouse has left the container. As in the original feature, the tooltip is gone immediately on mouse out, what makes the user experience somehow a little bit "un-smooth". So it would be a fancy feature to have an animated fading to transparency (with customizable fade time) on mouse out; or, at least, an settable delay time before the tooltip disappears (without fading out).

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Hi Meltac,

that is indeed a very good suggestion, which is possible to accomplish in my solution (it requires some extra coding though).

As soon as I find the time to integrate the current patches and move it to the next level, i'll attempt to integrate the suggested feature, because I agree that a sudden disappearance of the tooltip is not really a smooth UI experience.

As for now, you can already set the delay time before the tooltip to disappear using the ShowDuration property (determines how long a tooltip should be displayed).

I hope the current library already can meet some of your needs.

Best regards,

Xavier

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Hi Xavier, thanks for your fast response. Yes, the current version of your library already meets some of my needs - hope to see more soon...

Kind Regards, Björn

Jan 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Hi Björn,

hope you'll like what you see in the release notes of v1.5.0 ;-)

You can easily check out the source code (need to put the zipped download link online yet, but go to the source code tab) and modify it further to your own needs.

I'm curious about any feedback you might have to even further improve this library, so don't hesitate to post your remarks here.

Best regards,

Xavier

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Hi Xavier

Wow, you're really fast, indeed! Thanks for including this great feature!

Some things that come in mind when you're asking for additional useful features:

- customizable fade-in ;-)
- double instead of integer values for initial delay and show duration properties (one should be able to specify less and one whole second)
- customizable animations for tooltip opening and closing (needs not to be hardcoded as fade-in and fade-out; instead, one should be able to provide some custom animations (in app.xaml or whereever) that are being triggered when opening and when closing the tooltip; so the library user would be able to define himself in what way the tooltip opens and closes, what could be a linear fade animation (what propably makes sense as the default), or any other silverlight animation scheme or storyboard).

I was trying to develop this myself with the built-in silverlight tooltip (placing two animation resources in app.xaml), but somehow struggled by the limited options to intercept the opening and closing events. So I forgot about this. But maybe you would be able to include this neat feature in your solution :-)

Thanks again and best regards,

Björn

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:25 PM
Hey Björn,

thx for the tips!
Of course when I was developing the thing I also thought about the fade-in :-) (but it was getting late already, and I figured you might already find this one useful)

Actually, what I really would like to have is a set of behaviours you can just plug in to the ToolTipService (as you mention with your animations).
Definitely a neat feature I'm going to look at in the future (sorry I can't promise hard deadlines here).

Best regards,

Xavier

>----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
>Van
: Meltac [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
>Verzonden
: donderdag
, januari
7, 2010 12:59 PM
>Aan
: xavier_decoster@telenet.be
>Onderwerp
: Re: Delayed Fadeout on mouse out? [tooltipservice:79908]
>
>From: Meltac
>
>Hi XavierWow, you're really fast, indeed! Thanks for including this great feature!Some things that come in mind when you're asking for additional useful features:- customizable fade-in ;-)
>- double instead of integer values for initial delay and show duration properties (one should be able to specify less and one whole second)
>- customizable animations for tooltip opening and closing (needs not to be hardcoded as fade-in and fade-out; instead, one should be able to provide some custom animations (in app.xaml or whereever) that are being triggered when opening and when closing the tooltip; so the library user would be able to define himself in what way the tooltip opens and closes, what could be a linear fade animation (what propably makes sense as the default), or any other silverlight animation scheme or storyboard).I was trying to develop this myself with the built-in silverlight tooltip (placing two animation resources in app.xaml), but somehow struggled by the limited options to intercept the opening and closing events. So I forgot about this. But maybe you would be able to include this neat feature in your solution :-)Thanks again and best regards,Björn
>
>
Jan 31, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Hi,

as of v2 of the library, which I released yesterday, you can set the new OpenAnimation and CloseAnimation properties.

This way, it is possible to attach your own custom Storyboard to the ToolTip Open and Close events.

Kind regards,

Xavier Decoster

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:56 PM
Hi Xavier

Thanks, that is great! I will check out your new version asap.

Regards
Bj�rn

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: 31 Jan 2010 00:48:23 -0800
> Von: "xavierdecoster" <notifications@codeplex.com>
> An: metzinger@gmx.net
> Betreff: Re: Delayed Fadeout on mouse out? [tooltipservice:79908]

> From: xavierdecoster
>
> Hi,as of v2 of the library, which I released yesterday, you can set the
> new OpenAnimation and CloseAnimation properties.This way, it is possible to
> attach your own custom Storyboard to the ToolTip Open and Close events. Kind